The pavilion was used for a long time for political meetings and then for the World Skate Hockey Championships (1947).
In 2008, the building was named after Carlos Lopes, in honour of the long-distance runner, the first sportsman to give Portugal a gold medal at the 1984 Olympic Games. Then it’s oblivion… and ruin.
In very poor condition, the building was finally saved. Its magnificent restored azulejos.
Don’t miss the wrought iron galleries, the monumental staircase, and the exhibition dedicated to the runner Carlos Lopes.
The pavilion is not always open: it serves as an event room. But going around it, admiring its statuary and faience panels, and letting the view of Lisbon run away below is in itself a beautiful objective for a walk.
Av Sidónio Pais. Easy access by the metro line blue line station “Parque”.